Friday, December 1, 2023

Remembering my late Aunt Sarah Friedler on her birthday, including a favorite theater-related story about her

 



Remembering my dear late aunt Sarah Friedler on her birthday, here in this photo with my dad, my brother and me at what seems to be my nephew David Landau's bris in 1988. My aunt and my dad were both Holocaust survivors. We all called her Aunt Sunia (pronounced "Shoon-ya"). The camera caught her while she was talking, probably making a joke, but it's such a happy photo of a happy occasion. 

We have so many happy memories of her, including a good amount of theatergoing and theater-watching and listening with her and my Uncle Jonah. One of my favorite theater-related memories of her was after Kathie Lee Gifford performed Sondheim's "Getting Married Today" on TV, my Aunt Sunia did an impromptu impression, with hand motions, of Kathie Lee singing at the wedding "Go! Can't you go? Why is nobody listening?" (This was while Kathie Lee was the alternate for Carol Burnett in "Putting It Together.")

No comments:

Post a Comment