Sunday, June 30, 2024

For Pride Parade Day: reprising “I’m Still Queer” - Michael Musto in the Voice called it a "Hilarious Gay Spoof of 'I'm Still Here'"

 For Gay Pride Parade Day: 

The producer of a few CDs I'd worked on had gotten an OK to give me Mr. Sondheim's direct email address, and this 2009 parody was the first of a series of videos from 2009 to 2013 where Mr. Sondheim looked at the parodies before they were recorded and even gave some helpful notes. 

This was my “I’m Still Queer” -a  parody-tribute of Stephen Sondheim's “I’m Still Here” looking at four decades of New York City theatergoing 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt40nQGc1I4

- starting with theater right around Stonewall circa 1969 and going through 40 years of theater, a field that somewhat got identified with the gay demographic. 

I was especially thrilled when Michael Musto posted a Village Voice article that took note of this video.
"Hilarious Gay Spoof of 'I'm Still Here'"

---------

A few more YouTubes from this blog's Sondheim-themed parodies

From May 2020 during Broadway closing for pandemic lockdown 
TOGETHER Parody medley - Joanne (COMPANY)) / Rose (GYPSY) - 
parodies of "The Little Things You Do Together" and Together Wherever We Go"
PATTI/SONDHEIM PARODY SALUTE


"Another Hundred Millionaires Got Off of Their Phones"- 
Parody of "Another Hundred People" from "Company"

THE MILLER'S SONG ("LOSING MY SIGN") - 
The Ghost of Henry Miller gripes at first, 
but OK's renaming the Henry Miller Theater for Stephen Sondheim


From just before the Broadway revival of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC - 
"A Little Site Music" - 
Act One - with parodies of Every Day a Little Death, A Weekend in the Country and Liaisons - Parody lyrics by Fred Landau, sung by Jan Horvath
Act Two is at 
with parodies of Send In the Clowns, The Miller's Son and The Glamorous Life



No comments:

Post a Comment